1965 Shelby AC Cobra recreation Superformance vin #1217, $59,900 OBO
California SB100 Registered
- 2002 Superformance MkIII 427 Cobra Roadster with a 351 Winsor Bored and stroked to 410CID with 3200 miles
- Titanium on Black
Cobra recreation from Superformance, the ONLY licensed Cobra from Carroll Shelby licensing. Beyond well cared for painted in Lamborghini Titanium over Black Leather. Would cost approximately $90K to recreate new,
This Cobra is a SB100, California VIN’ed, registered and titled. Only 500 of these registrations for special constructions are given each year. No smog ever in CA.
Engine and drivetrain:
Chassis, & engine 3200 miles total.
Balanced 351 cid Ford Windsor V8, bored & stroked to 410 cid, with Edelbrock Victor Jr. manifold and matching aluminum heads with a Holley double-pumper carburetor
Forged pistons, H-beam rods, Crower roller cam and roller rockers, remote-mounted oil filter fitted with SS braided hoses and ANSA fittings. Bottom end is fitted with girdle. MSD 6AL ignition for spark. No expense was spared in the engine’s construction by Probe Industries.
The Holley Carburetor was just recently rebuilt. Starts right up with ease, hot or cold. No smoke, no stumbles, no issues.
10-1/2” McLeod clutch to a Tremec 5-speed transmission + an 8.8” IRS, with 3.83:1 gear ratio. Trans shifts cleanly and shifts are positive.
-Street version– undercar exhaust ceramic-coated headers that exit out the rear through a pair of mufflers with chromed tips. The owner of the car preferred no side pipes to make the car more drivable and easier to live with.
Fully independent, A-arm, coil over suspension in the front and rear. Not the standard straight axle. This suspension rides very smooth unlike the traditional cobra set up. Handling and ride is vastly improved over solid rear axel. All Rubber bushings are in great shape, no degradation.
The Wilwood 4 piston front and single piston rears bite hard under a heavy foot but are linear and comfortable for a casual drive. The pads are street pads that require no heat up time.
-PAINT and BODY
The paint is as essentially new and just recently detailed. The cars paint is immaculate as it was just painted in January 2014 by Lasky Coachworks of Los Angeles. Laskey’s paints car to Pebble beach standards. This was a near $10k paint job in Lamborghini Titanium silver.
-WHEELS and TIRES
Halibrand-style knockoff wheels with Bridgestone tires with 85% tread left front and rear.
Hi quality black leather seats are in immaculate shape as well. The leather has been extraordinarily well cared for. The leather has been recently cleaned and conditioned.
Heated seats were also added
ZERO cracks. ZERO lifting. Smith’s gauges in perfect shape and work wonderfully.
Oil temp gauge in place, – NO sender was run to it.
– Soft top and hard plastic side windows are included. In like new shape, in vinyl cases & were only placed on the car once
– vinyl factory tonneau cover
– Flannel custom fit Superformance car included as well.
Sony AM/FM/XM hidden-face radio with a concealed 300 watt amp, two front-side speakers and a hidden floor-mounted subwoofer, with a 6-CD changer tucked away in the luggage compartment.
K2000 car alarm with keyless entry remotes.
Detailed Build Specs
– Hand laminated fiberglass body with reinforcing inserts.
– Heavy duty TIG welded ladder frame chassis with crumple zones
– Fully independent front and rear suspension.
– Limited slip differential.
– Willwood power-assisted vented disc brakes (4-pot calipers.Front, Single-pot calipers back)
– Custom crafted coil-over shocks.
– Aluminum pin drive “Halibrand” style wheels (Knock – off) with 15” tires.
– Side and rear view mirrors.
– Original style pedals, catches and fittings.
– Original style shifter and hand brake lever.
– Carpeted interior and trunk.
– Aluminum finished firewall.
– Sun Visors and wind wings.
– Wipers & Washer, heater/defogger.
– Leather seating surfaces (drivers adjusts.)
– Original style latch-lock seat belts.
– Moto – Lita wooden steering wheel.
– Monza style filler. (locking gas cap)
– Aluminum, single core hi-performance radiator, shroud and dual fans.
– Oil cooler and braided lines.
– Stainless steel fuel tank. 17 gal. (Pressure tested.)
– Original style side pipes and headers to accommodate Ford based V8 engine
– Original style gauges (Smith) and switches. (Lucas.)
– Reverse 180mph speedometer
– Stainless steel roll bar, chassis mounted
Check out SPF’s page
Car is sold as is where is. Car is available for inspection by appointment in Los Angeles. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
If you have the time to enjoy colorful editorial of background of Superformance Cobras and this car, please read bellow.
Background on Superformance
This 1965 Shelby AC Cobra recreation came from Superformance and is specifically is car #1217, a 2002 Superformance MkIII 427 Cobra Roadster. The Superformance (SPF) brand by a huge margin are the best recreations available. Unlike most other brands, the fiberglass body is finished beautifully from SPF. Most of the cheaper companies require EXTENSIVE work to the body for fitment and waviness. SPF goes to far lengths to assure that their body’s fit tightly and beautifully from the factory with ZERO waviness. See pictures below. LASER straight. Carroll Shelby himself said: “I’ve endorsed and licensed the car for being as close to correct and well-built as possible.”
What else separates SPF from the others? To use SPF’s own words, “The Superformance replicas are the result of attention to detail and engineering. Almost all manufacture and design is done in house at Superformance except where some parts are better designed by specialists, Superformance partners with Dana, Bilstein, Wilwood and others for design input and specific NEW components. No used parts are fitted to the car. From the ground up most components are designed specifically for the Superformance rolling chassis. This consistent approach to manufacturing and attention to detail results in proven world-class performance with fit and finish second to none.”
The engineering of the car makes for an investment, rather than patched together kit. Consistency is achieved through a state of the art factory. Superformance prides itself on the quality of its design and manufacturing processes, and the excellence of its of high performance products. All quality control is to international ISO standards and must meet stringent in-house inspection processes. It is this dedication to consistency that sets them apart from the competition. The plant, is the largest and best equipped in the industry, employing over 500 people. Facilities include an air conditioned composite shop, state of the art paint shop, and a fabrication shop that includes 14 CNC machines, presses up to 1300 tonne and a full range of metal working equipment and skills. All trim and wiring looms are also done on site, as is the final assembly. SPF even have their own chrome plant on site